Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Baby Kimono and Booties

Hello sweet readers!  I must confess that as of late, I have somewhat lost my sewing mojo. About a month ago,  I decided to sew up this little infant set.  What's that?  You ask for whom am I sewing this little set?  I haven't a clue.  I don't even know what obsessed me to sew something of this nature, as I find infant clothing rather tedious and frustrating.  So as I was saying, it was about a month ago that I decided to embark upon this sewing project.  Lo and behold, my desire to sew began to wane shortly after cutting out the pattern pieces.  Does the project itself, the fabric, or perhaps the intended use have anything to do with my enthusiasm for said project?  I think yes.  I thought the project itself would give me a broader range of experience in other types of sewing (infant wear is a bit out of the box for me); and while I do like the fabric a lot, I chose the wrong weight of fabric for the top; and, finally, the intended use is for a baby, yes, but what baby I have no idea.  Therefore, it took me a month to finally complete such a small garment.


But look at that outfit.  Isn't it sweet?  I do attend quite a number of baby showers, so I shall hang on to these until I am next invited to one for a precious little girl and I will already have a gift in hand.


Both patterns are from Amy Butler's Little Stitches for Little Ones.    I sewed them up in the 0-3 month sizes, but, to be honest, they look like a 3-6 month old sizing would be more appropriate.

Back View
The fabric line is County Fair by Denyse Schmidt for Westminster Fabrics.  It is a home dec weight fabric and is slightly heavier than a regular quilting cotton.  I would recommend using the regular quilting weight cotton for the top (if I were to make this again that would be my choice as this home dec weight fabric doesn't have a lot of drape to it).  I would, however, stick with the slightly heavier weight fabric for the booties.  It gave them nice structure.

The fly stitch, which is included on my sewing machine, proved to be a perfect choice to finish off the top of the slit on the kimono-style sleeve.


These two patterns from Little Stitches for Little Ones are letter G Cutie Booties and letter H Easy Empire-Waist Top.

I would welcome comments from any of you who might have Amy Butler's Little Stitches for Little Ones.  I find the instructions well written, however, I do need some drawings now and then to ensure I am on the right track, as Amy Butler's pattern tend to use some techniques not found in a lot of main stream patterns.  But, to my dismay, there are not a lot of step-by-step drawings to accompany the instructions.  Anybody else find that to be the case?

I'm please with the end result(s), but I doubt I will sew these two patterns again.

My mojo is returning as I envision the garment on my dress form that is about half way complete.  It will be a great addition to my summer wardrobe.  The pattern is from the April issue of Burda Style.  More on that later.

Have a great weekend and those of you Stateside have a safe and restful holiday weekend.

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment